Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Danger in the Crib

Last night, we went through Pumpkin's normal nightime routine - bath, stories, kisses, bed. But he was sill in a crazy (WIDE AWAKE) mood.

When I put him in his crib, he was wound up. He ran from one end of his bed to the other, near where I was standing. Then, he somersaulted over the crib rail. I caught him before he hit the ground, but he was pretty shook up. I held him and gave him kisses, and I put him back in his crib. He lifted his right leg and threw it over the rail, like he was trying to get out.

At this point, G came into the room. He kissed Pumpkin, told him to settle down and lay down. Pumpkin laid down on his blankie; he fell asleep within minutes. I checked on him probably 30 times last night to make sure he was sleeping and I kept the monitor turned up to hear every snore, every cough, every movement from Pumpkin's room.

Obviously, we need to get Pumpkin out of the crib before he falls out and hurts himself. (The crib mattress is as low as possible.) The plan was to wait until we moved into a new house, but who knows when that will be...six weeks on the market, price reduction, and still only one showing.

Pumpkin's room is small - one of the reasons we're moving is for bigger rooms - so I don't know how a big bed will fit. On the other hand, he's a big boy - I don't know how much use we'll get out of a toddler bed since he takes up a good length of his crib mattress now.

This is Pumpkin's room. The crib is currently on the same wall as the door. You can see part of the crib on the left side of the photo....

The dilemma: do I put his crib mattress on the floor for his bed? Do we get a toddler bed? Do we get a twin "big boy" bed? And if we put him in a toddler or twin bed, how do I keep him in the bed, and not reading his books all night?

4 comments:

Lost A Sock said...

First of all, his room is awesome! Who the heck WOULDN'T want to buy your house??

When KJ was about 18 months old, he climbed out for the first time. After that I lived in fear for a few days just like you did, and then we bought a crib tent. It's kind of intimidating at first, but it was much safer than letting him have the run of the room. Eventually he lost the will to climb out and we took it down, and then he moved to a big boy bed (with side rail) at two and a half. We talked over and over about staying in bed, and when he did get up we just quietly put him back every time without making an issue of it. It was surprisingly the easiest transition ever.

I don't want to think what it will be like with crazy Jack, hahaha.

Good luck!

Liz said...

My nephew went straight from crib to twin (or maybe full) size bed. I don't know how my SIL keeps him in there but I imagine she keeps a close eye on him until he's asleep.

Anonymous said...

We got a crib tent too, which is working great at 24 months. We will make the transition to toddler bed eventually, but my gut says she is too young right now.

CPA Mom said...

Tigger's crib was convertable so we took off one side and it was a toddler bed. He is a very tall child too so he wasn't in it long before we got a twin big boy bed for him. He does great in there too. Eeyore, we put in a separate toddler bed. With a railing on the side still. It will be a while before she changes. She doesn't adapt well to change.

p.s. I love that color paint!