Thursday, April 10, 2008

How I Became a Toddler Wrangler and Other Good Excuses for Being Late to Work

G had a very important meeting this morning. So important, in fact, that he failed to mention it until he was halfway out the door an hour early. This meant I was responsible for P this morning - the changing of the diaper, the dressing in the clothes, the feeding of the breakfast, and the getting to school.

Of course, P didn't want to to wear a new diaper, get dressed, eat, or go to school. And it was raining - a lot. So, we were running late.

When we arrived at school (at the time I should have been getting to my parking garage), I noticed towels stuck under the back door of daycare. Not unusual considering the amount of precipitation we've had (and the fact that we've had to pump water out of our crawlspace). What was strange was that the door to his classroom - and the room across the hall - was propped open.

Kids were still consolidated in the Ferret room, but as soon as we entered P's Peacock room to remove his coat, his classmates started coming into the room via the Jack-and-Jill bathroom connecting Ferrets to Peacocks (who, I dare ask, names these rooms?)

P's classmates entered the room and noticed the door propped open - enter chaos. Maya took off out the door. Zach yelled, "Escape!" Soon, 12 toddlers were on the loose (but not P. He stayed in the room. Good boy!)

Head Teacher stayed to keep P in the room. Afternoon teacher (why was she there in the morning? I don't know, but I'm still mad at her) took off down the main hall, and I ran down the smaller hallway. The kids were giggly - and fast - and didn't want to go back to the classroom. I cornered Conner, but he had a runny nose (and I didn't want to touch him - I don't do other people's snot). He got away, only to be captured by another teacher. I caught JM, who was laughing hysterically, and handed him to the Director (who came out of her office to see what the commotion was about). I chased Donovan, who was yelling, "no, no, no!", picked him up, and took him down to the Peacock room. I didn't notice any other kids in my hallway.

After a quick headcount, I left.

Of course, no one noticed I was late to work, and given the torrential downpour I doubt anyone cared, but I was really looking forward to explaining my new found talent of "toddler wrangling" - unless said toddlers have runny noses, then they're on their own.

No comments: